A possible pathway for curriculum review
The NZC states (pgs 37, 38):
- In years 1-10, schools are required to provide teaching and learning in English, the arts, health and physical education, mathematics and statistics, science, the social sciences, and technology.
- The learning area statements should be the starting point for developing programmes of learning suited to students' needs and interests.
- Links between learning areas should be explored.
Review questions you may consider for your school community
- How well does our school's curriculum reflect the essential nature of each learning area?
- Do our programmes meet the needs and interests of our students?
- How does our curriculum enable students to explore relationships of knowledge across learning areas?
- Do we make connections across learning areas, values, and key competencies?
- Do we have a rationale and structure for covering learning area strands and selecting achievement objectives?
Published on: 08 May 2014
Return to top