- ERO reports in 2010, 2011, and 2012
- a monitoring and evaluation project with a sample of schools (school sample project) - The National Standards: School Sample Monitoring and Evaluation Project 2009 - 2013
- surveys and probe studies involving schools in the above sample to collect more in-depth or targeted information, guided by findings from the school sample project and including a more detailed study looking at changes in professional practice
- periodic surveys of, for example, parents, Boards of Trustees, and professional development providers
- national monitoring studies such as the National Education Monitoring Project, and information from international studies such as Progress in International Reading Literacy Study, the Programme for International Student Assessment, and Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study.
This information will contribute to Ministry decision-making about ongoing implementation and support for the standards.
National Standards (English Medium) - provisional / draft design:
The National Standards: School Sample Monitoring and Evaluation Project
The Ministry has contracted Maths Technology Ltd (MTL) to run The National Standards: School Sample Monitoring and Evaluation Project 2009 – 2013 (NSSS). MTL is an independent evaluation company with specialist expertise in literacy, numeracy, educational assessment and evaluation, led by Dr Gill Thomas.
The project will collect monitoring and evaluation information from a sample of English-medium state schools as they introduce and implement National Standards in reading, writing and mathematics (Years 1-8). The main purpose is to get a broad overview of schools’ implementation of National Standards across a representative range of English-medium state schools. It will look at how schools:
- understand the purpose and content of National Standards, and how they relate to the New Zealand Curriculum
- use the National Standards to assess student progress and achievement
- use National Standards progress and achievement information to monitor student progress and achievement, identify students requiring targeted teaching interventions, inform teachers’ ongoing professional development, and report to parents, whānau, communities, and Boards of Trustees.
The project will:
- Collect student achievement information in reading, writing, and mathematics
- Survey principals, Boards of Trustees, teachers, and parents
- Collect copies of schools’ annual plans and analysis of variance reports
- Collect copies of the formats schools use for reporting to parents.
The information collected from schools will be analysed, with results used to describe and evaluate the implementation of National Standards.
In 2010 the project focused on teachers’ judgments relative to the standards, and how National Standards information was reported to parents and Boards. The project focus will be reviewed annually and refined or adjusted as needed.
Reports from the School Sample Monitoring and Evaluation Project:
Return to top